Driver’s License/California ID

Get your Driver’s License or a California Identification Card.


After you get your work permit or green card, you should first get your social security card.  After that, you should go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to get a driver’s license or a California identification card.  Be aware that you will need to take a written or oral test on driving rules and a driving test with an instructor.

VERY IMPORTANT: When you apply for your driver’s license or work permit, be sure to NOT register to vote. If you check that you want to register, the U.S. government may assert that you have made a false claim to US citizenship and will bar you from any immigration benefits. Forever. With no waiver. Please be very careful.

For more information and to locate your nearest DMV, click here: DMV